Saturday, March 27, 2010

A month in Buenos Aires

















I can't believe I have been in the beautiful city for more than a month already. The time went by quickly, I feel as though I am accustomed to some things, but I am still learning a lot every day. My comprehension and speaking has been improving! Thank goodness. I love learning new words and being able to use them that very day while talking. There definetely are some people that are easier to converse with than others. When I find someone who I find easy to talk with and comprehend it's hard to stop me from talking and asking questions. I also don't have to think as hard now when talking, conversation in a different language is starting to come more naturally. I still have my moments where I feel relieved when finishing a sentence, but it isn't as bad as it was the 1st week I was here. My friends were making fun of me before that I would get really nervous, and when happened I couldn't say what I wanted to say, and when I was done with whatever it was I was saying I would sigh in relief. Ha! With my host mom, professors, students, IFSA staff, Csers, I always talk in Castellano. When I'm with my friends Nora and Bex we do both- we try to make ourselves converse in Spanish as much as possible, but when we are more tired we talk in English. And pretty much with most of the other IFSA students I speak english, but I'm usually not with them, so it's not that bad. I love the fact that now I actually have a few castellano speaking friends, and I get to facebook or skype chat with them! So when I'm doing homework or on the computer I get to practice too. ANd its nice that I can look up words while doing so. Wordreference.com and freetranslation.com are pretty much always on my screen.
I was having an extremely good week last week. Maybe it was the weather, being able to meet more people, or the realization that my spanish is indeed improving in such a wonderful city.
School is enjoyable for the most part so far, I'm getting a little bit of homework, but nothing too overwhelming. Classes seem pretty good, as well as the professors and my peers in the class. I have my marketing class on Tuesday, and I really hope I like it because I need to take it. I also have 1 international biz class to test out and possibly a History/ Practice of Tango class (if I pass the oral exam which is on Monday- ahh!).
Weekend: I don't have classes friday! That's quite nice (don't worry parents- most portenos don't have class Friday). I spent my Friday and Sunday 1st running and then chillin in Parque Cetenario (its 15min walk from my apt). I've been running around the park for weeks and I just realized how great it is. See pics! I got some Friday too while I was there. My homework and Canga (towel type thing) , that's all I needed. I met up with Nora after my appointment with the volunteer coordinator and tried some new dessert- Boudin with nuts- it looked better than it tasted, but I'm happy I tried it. Saturday was great. Bex, Nora, and I met up with a Cser named Diana at Avenida Mayo and ran into a Greek festival, which we enjoyed for a few hours. We then headed to Plaza Francia where many people hang out over the weekends and listened to some Ska, reggae, salsa, and drum music. We had our first parilla (a type of restuarant where the specialty is grilled meat) experience yesterday for dinner. We got 2 large cuts of steak and an unlimited salad bar for a pretty good price. The food was riquisimo (excellently flavored)! MMmmm.... By the way- Aregentina is known for their meat (which they eat too much of), wine, dulce de leche, and chocolate. We then met up with some friends at a bar and then headed to a boliche around 3am.

This is a short week because it is Semana Santa and Pascau (Easter). Which means I don't have school Thursday, and 3 friends and I will be heading to Igauzu Falls and Corrientes (NE Argentina) for our days off. Long bus rides, but it'll be worth it! Super excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment