Monday, March 1, 2010

1st Weekend Adventures in BA

Puente de las Mujeres
Nora, Izequiel, Estaban

Puerto Madero


UCA- one of my Universities- in Puerto Madero



Barbeque




Ave. Florida





Casa Rosada






Plaza de Mayo from balcony that Peron gave last speech







Plaza de Mayo








Plaza de Mayo

Saturday I took my laundry to the Lavaderia, and paid 16 pesos for 2 loads of laundry, and I came back a few hours later to pick up my nicely folded clothes (3 weeks worth)- that was a surprise as well as an accomplishment. I went for a walk around Caballito- my neighborhood- and went to the store to do some shopping- I got a few yogurts and some snacks, but had to wait 15-20mins in line! I got a little sandwich as well as 2 pastries from this cute little Panaderia a few blocks from my house.

Nora and I met up at Plaza de Mayo, went to Casa de Rosado- Place where Peron gave last speech and now holds some important presidential meetings. We then walked down the famous Florida Ave which were filled with mini markets of people selling bracelets to artwork of smashed glass... We also got dulce de leche ice cream from Mc D's- which was super cheap (barrata) and really tasty (saborosa). We headed back to the Obelisco and people watched until it was dinner time, when we ordered una pizza mozzerela chico. MMM...

That night we went to a mini boliche (club) with an American friend on our program, Bex, and her one friend, Zack who's from Cincinatti and has been in BA for 7 months, and his 2 friends, Lucas and Fredo. We then headed to a cute log cabin-style bar near recoletta. Which I didn't get back till 7am!

After a good 4 hour sleep I woke up to go for a jog- which Im trying to do more often, took some pics of Caballito for a Castellano class homework assignment, and headed to San Telmo to meet up with some other couchsurfers by the names of Izequiel and Estaban. We then walked to Puerto Madero all while speaking in Castellano and had some mate'! The most popular drink here- its like tea but has 10x more caffeine then coffee, and its def a cultural hang out type of thing. They explained 'the rules' of sharing mate with friends- because its passed around in a group-like whats considered rude, and what you should do, etc. People have this all the time- they carry a thermose, the yerba mate leaves, the cup, metal straw( bombilla) with strainer.

Now I am off to jog again and go to orientation, classes at UTDT start tomorrow at 8am! Yikes.










1 comment:

  1. sounds like fun, good luck with all the classes

    ReplyDelete