Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Last Days in Brazil & Argentina

Bea's perro that looks like Snoogs
Cows left over from the parade of cows...?













Lake in Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo






Marta's Perro







Joana, Nora, some friends, and I













Sunday we arrived via bus to Sao Paolo to visit Bea- Nora's friend. We went for a wonderful walk in a massive park and tried not to get ran over by skatboarders and people on bikes. We then took a dip in her pool, got some burgers and interesting Brazilian chips for dinner, and went to get a famous Bob's Malt milkshake (interesting that a place called Bob's would ONLY be in Brazil) but this milkshake was GREAT! We then walked around Sao at night, which was really pretty. We then headed back to watch some WeddingCrashers and sleep a few hours before our taxi picked us up for the airport.

Random note: so in Brazil this really shady act of "people watching your car" when you park on a public street is so bizzare. Basically, you pull up to an open spot and shady looking people ask you for money to watch your car, if you don't end up paying them, or tell them that you'll pay them, you'll come back to stuff taken out of your car, a keyed car, or no car at all because they'll call their buddies to mess it up. SO STUPID! It bugged me when my friends paid these guys to not mess with thier car and I was only there a few days, just imagine dealing with this all the time!

ARGENTINA! Our trip was pretty intense- we almost missed our connecting flight in Montevideo, Urugauy because our plan from Brazil took off late. I spent both flights sleeping. When we arrived in Buenos Aires we saw an advisor from IFSA Butler holding a sign with Nora's name. We found out she was here to take Nora to her host family, and I was like... what the heck are you going to do with me?! SOmehow they had no idea I was joining her, so with a few phone calls I was also shuttled to my host mom.
I live in the neigborhood of Caballeto- its a pretty nice hood, cute and filled with nice people. I love my host mom, Maira! She lives alone, has 2 kids, and 2 grandkids (ninetos) that come over every once in a while- Lucas y Ana. SHe is soooo sweet. She treats me like one of her own kids I feel very welcome here. She cooks well, we had empanadas, ensalada, pasta con albondigas (meatballs-new word for the day), cereal with raisins for breakfast and lots of good fruit... yum!
Orientation is pretty boring! Its nice meeting a lot of different people, but I want to meet Portenos (people from Buenos AIres)! We get a lot of breaks during orientation, so its nice to chat with fellow Americans and escapade around BA. Nora, a few others, and I all shared a pizza grande for Lunch today, which prop equalled to be 4 USD for everyone, and it was so yummy.
I took the subte (subway) today all by myself too, which was kinda nervewracking, but I made it back home safely. I came home to find out that my interntet finally works! Thank goodness. My host mom had her son come over to fix cable and modem for me, see how lovely she is! So now I have wireless and am connected with the outside world.
My head is spinning from all the espanol I am using, I have to take an oral exam tom to see where IFSA should place me during our orientation-intense span sessions. Kinda nervous!
But I'm super sleepy now, so off to bed to wake up early and run with some Americans at a park at 7:20am tom. buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment